Kielbasa, Potato, and Kraut Bake2012-09-27
- Yield : N/A
- Servings : 6-8
- Prep Time : 0m
- Cook Time : 1:30 h
- Ready In : 0m
- 5 lbs. Red Potatoes
- 1 Can (27 oz.) Frank's Kraut- rinsed and drained
- 1 Med. Onion- finely chopped
- 1/2 Green Bell Pepper- finely chopped
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper- finely chopped
- 2 Lg. Cloves Garlic- finely chopped
- 1-2 Sticks Real Sweet Cream Butter
- 2 Rings of your favorite Polish Kielbasa
- 3 Cups Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Make mashed potatoes out of the 5 lbs. of red potatoes. Set aside.
2. In a large saucepan melt 1 stick of the butter; add sauerkraut, bell peppers, onion, and garlic. Simmer on a medium heat till onion and peppers are tender (about 10 mins.) Add as much of the second stick of butter as needed to keep the mixture from sticking to the pan and burning ( I generally use both sticks.) Season with salt and pepper.
3. Grill or broil the kielbasa till done (I grill it like I would eating it straight from the grill.) After grilling or broiling the kielbasa, slice into 1/4 inch elongated slices. Set aside.
4. In a LIGHTLY greased 13"X9"X2" baking pan, make a layer with the mashed potatoes (about 1" thick), then make a layer with the sauerkraut mixture (about 1/2" to 3/4" thick), follow that with a layer made from the kielbasa slices. Cover with shredded cheese.
5. Bake at 350 degrees till the cheese is thoroughly melted and turning slightly golden.Add to favorites
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1 people rated this recipe